Sunday, November 15, 2009

I Will Still Love You Forever, Bill Belichick

Dear Bill,

I know this must be a very hard time for you right now. For the first time in your entire life, you have done something that could be considered, by some people, to not be completely 100% correct. I am not one of those people; I agreed with your call to go for it on fourth and two. Unfortunately others on this Earth may not agree, and that fact is one neither of us can change. There are a few things I would like to say to you right now that I hope will help you deal with this reality.

First of all, welcome, I suppose. Welcome to the fallible world of humanity. The emotion you are experiencing right now is called "regret," which is something we humans feel after we err, fail, or come up short. You feel it deep in your abdomen, and it dissipates gradually over the course of weeks. As you are surely recognizing, it isn't pleasant. I wish for your sake you could have lived your whole blessed, gilded, remarkable life without feeling this, but sadly that is not the case. I'm sorry.

The one condolence I can give you is to tell you that you are not alone. Many other people have made mistakes over the course of history, myself included. I'll share a few of mine with you to show you that I also know shame:

-Once bought Reduced Fat Wheat Thins instead of regular Wheat Thins

-Angered third grade teacher by refusing a Power Rangers coloring book as a prize for winning third place in a St. Patrick's Day leprechaun-coloring contest

-Forgot exact number of rings that Saturn has in front of 6 or 7 people



As you can see, far more egregious crimes have been committed than yours in Indianapolis tonight. While the sting of tonight's loss will remain with you for a long time, please know that you will forever have my unbending trust and support. 

Everything is going to be ok, Bill. I promise.


Sincerely, 

Alex Gaynor


PS now we can all go back to agreeing that Peyton Manning is a dildo instead of reluctantly admitting that he is amazing

No comments:

Post a Comment